4.21.2007

Contrasts and Transitions

The past couple of weeks have been filled with some amazing contrasts and crazy changes. I've been from Seattle to Hawaii briefly back to Seattle and on to Oregon. From cool and drizzly to warm and sunny to cool and alternating between pouring rain and brilliant sunshine. From downtown city living to tourist trap to an isolated small town. From acute care hospital to much needed time off to a skilled nursing facility.

The transition has not gone quite as smoothly as I would have hoped. My company put me in a hotel that said it was pet friendly. The hotel's definition of pet friendly meant that the pets needed to be supervised at all times while in the room. That's a tad bit difficult to do when you are expected to work full time. After a tense couple of days, I've landed in a house out in the country. I commonly tell people that I live in the sticks and I'm not joking. (I'll try to tell stories as I go. That has proven to be a challenge as I have no internet access and my phone is on roaming and frequently drops calls.)

The house is entertaining. The inside has been remodeled and looks and smells new. There's no central heat or air conditioning. It's heated by an electric fireplace and a space heater. There's two bedrooms on the main floor and a "loft" according to the landlord who told me about the place as I picked up the keys. The "loft" is the attic and you need to pull the string to pull down the stairs to get up there. The kitchen is wonderful (but has no dishwasher or garbage disposal which the lease says that it has) and I spend most of my time there. The dishes leave something to be desired as they are all teddy bears. There's just not something right about eating your morning bowl of cereal and finding a teddy bear at the bottom of the bowl. Last, but not least, I have a new collection of pets. There's a horse in the backyard, a couple of roosters to wake me every morning, and even a peacock. Yes, there's a peacock who frequently visits.



With that said, the Oregon Coast is gorgeous. I've been there a couple of weeks now, and I am still amazed at how gorgeous it is. It doesn't matter if it's gray, cold, rainy, and windy or warm and brilliantly sunny, it's still just beautiful.


Cape Arago on a cold, cloudy, and windy day. My first outing to the coast after moving there, and I was absolutely amazed. The sounds, smells, sights...Amazing, but in a completely different way from Hawai'i.


Taken on the same day, looking down the coast line from up on a cliff.


The lighthouse a little further down the coast and taken on a beautiful, sunny day.


Photo shot looking at Shore Acres, a state park on the coast. This is the lookout point at Shore Acres, which is apparently quite notorious as the place to watch storms come ashore. I can only imagine, as this picture was shot on a gorgeous day and just look at the spray from the wave.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Let me know what you think, and I'll post more stories as I can. Smile.

No comments: