11.13.2006

Unbelievable Snippets

I am a traveling health care professional currently on assignment on the West coast. I also have a nose piercing. This is background for the stories I'm sharing tonight.

I was working with a 70 something year old female who'd just had surgery. She was quizzing me about my nose piercing. Usually, at this point, I try to redirect the conversation AWAY from this. Coming from the conservative Midwest, nose piercings aren't regarded highly by the elderly. This lady was not being redirected. She wanted to know EVERYTHING. How was it done? Did it hurt? Did it get infected? Could you choose between a stud or a hoop? Then, she tells me that she's thinking about getting her nose pierced. I was floored. That's right. This 70 something lady wanted a nose ring. Wow. She wanted a nose ring. Unbelievable.

The second and final story for the evening is regarding an 80 something year old male who'd broken his leg. It's pretty common for me to work with older people after they've broken their legs. Usually, they break their hips falling in some way or another. Not this gentleman. Nope. He broke his leg while doing a motocross race. Wow. A motocross race. Unbelievable.

Only on the West coast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wished I could have seen your face! Happy you got a blog again & I enjoyed reading your stories!
Love,
MOM