5.07.2007

Work Stories

A collection of stories from my current caseload of patients...

* I got called a boy again last week. This is becoming somewhat amusing. The first time it happened was on the dementia unit of a nursing home. (I should probably add that I had super short, spiky hair at the time and was wearing a button down shirt.) It worked to my advantage as this lady thought I was attractive and I could get her to practice transfers with me by pretending to dance. This time, the patient is a smelly, unattractive, scary looking guy who told me that I look like a boy and then asked me if I was offended. (I should add that I now have long hair and was wearing huge hoop earrings at the time.) I found the whole situation both amusing and bizarre.

* My most confused patient today said his first 2 sentences that were appropriate in the context of the conversation. Neither one of them particularly flattering, but highly entertaining, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing at him. I walked into his room today, intending on having him practice toilet transfers, so I grabbed his walker. He saw me doing it, and says "God d*mn it, I am not f*cking walking today!" Then, after I managed to see him for my 35 minutes of torture (for both me and him, I think), I rolled him out the nursing station and told him that I would see him again tomorrow. As I was beating a hasty retreat, he says, "I f*cking hope not." His first 2 appropriate contextual sentences.

* I have a patient recovering from a left MCA stroke. He's been very rewarding for me to work with and very refreshing from my largely orthopedic population of broken hips and shoulders. He's been making some good gains in recovering functional use of his right arm. Sweet! But, he's a larger guy and has issues with his shorts binding him in his nether regions. So, I've (apparently) gotten good at adjusting his shorts for him. I had no idea going into this profession that I would become quite adept at adjusting male genitalia, making slings for them, positioning them, and problem solving male issues. The things they don't teach you in school...

* And, finally, for the health link that has the local area buzzing...or clicking...
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/07/spiderboy.ap/index.html

That's all for now. Hope you've enjoyed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see the pics turned out, they're beautiful! I LOVE your blog! As far as an update...Tim broke his foot 4-wheeling last week! He had surgery and now has 6 screws and a metal plate in his left foot on metatarsal number 1! No walking for at least 5 weeks and at least 8 weeks off of work! :( Never a dull moment... Talk to you soon..

C. said...

Glad you liked the pictures and enjoyed the blog. It was so good to see you again in STL. It's been so long, too long. I'll see you again this summer. We need to make some plans at some point. As for Tim, ouch! Talk to you soon.