7.09.2007

The Sky

After opening the day with a beautiful run with Finn and the rising sun amongst the clouds, vibrant pinks and purples against the lightening blue sky, I closed the day with another walk with Finn during the sunset. This time, the sunset was illuminating massive thunderheads, turning their undersides brilliant hues of red, against the dramatic backdrop of the threatening, black clouds.

I was lost in thought, walking along the sidewalk, thinking this was something I'd missed while out West. They didn't have these dramatic skies, clouds, sunsets, and sunrises out there. Maybe the mountains obscured them. Maybe they just didn't get the right cloud formations. Whatever. Something was missing. I certainly hadn't seen the sky comparable to what I'd seen tonight while out West.

As I was walking along, with my dog, a cattle dog ran up to us, one that reminded me very much of one I had met while out West. A Bisbee dog. A guy's voice called over my shoulder, "It's alright, she's friendly." The two dogs played for a minute, and I stared at the sky. The guy said, "I just moved from California, and they don't have sunsets like this out there." I laughed. "I just moved back from Oregon, and I agree." "Maybe it's the mountains blocking it or something," he said.

Who knows? There's something special about the skies here, though.

No comments: