7.23.2007

Who Needs Sleep?

Ah, brings fond memories of the Barenaked Ladies and the song by the same title. It seems appropriate for me in the past couple of days. Not because I couldn't sleep but because there was just way too much to do.

It all started on Friday. After a normal day of work, and a normal Friday evening, we went to the Harry Potter release party. Definitely a phenomenon all it's own. People were dressed up as the characters, there were raffles, contests, and games, they gave away Gryffindor keychains, and we even had a countdown to 12:01 when the books were sold. I was number 541 in line and got my book just before 1 am. Back home to read the book until 7am when the book had to be put down for my return to work, a busy day of all evaluations.

I struggled to stay awake at the end of the day while documenting and got home in one piece with the idea that I would eat and go to bed. I made some food, sat down to eat it, and promptly opened up the book, which I couldn't put down. After 42 hours of being up, I finally went to bed out of utter exhaustion and with the realization that I had a bike race the next day.

Up to early again in the morning, we were off to bike race to find there were only 5 girls. It was a very low key race, with the more experienced girls teaching the beginners cornering and drafting before it broke apart about halfway through the race. The spectators were cool, cheering us around the course, and flashing us as well. (One of the racers yelled "What are we going to see next?" as the guys had raised their shirts.) I was tired, stayed with the girls until it broke apart, and never caught up with them again. Made it home after a while, and slept hard, only to wake up and continue reading Harry Potter until 1 or 2 am before succumbing to sheer exhaustion again.

Thank goodness I had today off. I finished Harry Potter around 11 this morning. I think she ended things perfectly, and that's all I'm saying in case others haven't finished yet. Slept, ate, spun out my legs a bit, and finally made it to the truck pull! I'm posting pictures for your viewing pleasure.

My friend driving his truck, Force Fed, vibrating every cell in my body as he powered past me.


A cool shot of one of my friend's favorite trucks called the Corn Burner.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: